History


Founded as the 4th mechanical engineering laboratory in 1899
and teked charge by Prof. HAMABE from 1917,
CPEL is one of the oldest laboratry in Japan working on internal conbustion engines.
 Today, with 4 faculties and about 30 undergarduate/graduate students;
CPEL is involved in various experimental and computational studies
on  internal combustion engines
and combustion.

Professor Nagao (sitting 6 from right),  photographed at  19/Apr/1966


Graduate school of Engineering

1889
  The mechanical engineering lab. No.4 was established
1917
  Prof. Hamabe came in charge (A study started about internal combustion engine)
1939
  Prof. Hamabe died
1941
  Prof. Nagao came in charge
1969
  Prof. Nagao retired
1980
  Prof. Ikegami came in charge
1996
  Graduate school of Energy Science was established
1996
  The lab. was moved to Thermal energy conversion group
  Energy conversion systems division
  Department of energy conversion science


Graduate school of Energy Science

Thermal energy conversion group
Energy conversion systems division
Department of energy conversion science
1996
  The lab. was moved from graduate school of engineering
1999   Prof. Ikegami retired
2001
  Prof. Ishiyama came in charge

Conversion system group
Energy conversion systems division
Department energy conversion science
1996
  This lab. was founded
1999   Prof. Shioji came in charge